Starving Artist

My photo
I'm a senior in highschool with an unhealthy love for illustration and comic books. My ispiration comes from surrealism, but lately my interests in psychology and art therapy have been a raging force in the subject matter of my work.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

concentration 3

In this children's story book i tried to balance out the book by putting to images on either side of the castle. though the fairy is a bit small compared to the rose i think it turned out all right. I added massive shading to the interior and exterior of the book so it gives a popping effect to the 3d look i was going for. I do believe this reflects a childs imagination through the elements of art. by making each piece a cut out and forcing it off the page i think i achieved that effect.

5 comments:

  1. Good job Sarah! I think this is your best one yet. I'm glad that you made the shadow underneath the castle; now it looks like it's popping out of the book a lot more. The text in the book is also a very nice touch. You also strengthened the composition by adding the new fairy on the left. I think you could try experimenting with different media more starting with your next concentration; I liked how you used ink for the fireworks and I think you could expand on that to make your art more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the changes you have added since the critique. I think the shading makes this look more realistic and interesting. Also, the fairy and the fireworks work to balance out the composition. This really looks as if the castle is rising out of the storybook like it would in a child's imagination. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah,
    Great job on this concentration piece (I think it's your best one so far :) I like how you made the shadow of the castle because it makes it look more like a pop-up book. I think that you should've added the fairy at the top left corner and made her go off the page (as we discussed in class). Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what you've done here sarah! from the computer screen it really looks like the castle is popping out of the book so you did a great job with that. You also did a great job in balancing out all of your figures around the castle. My only suggestion is to make the book look thicker because it kinda looks like it is attached to the table top, but other than that it is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah- Nice work. I would like to see you continue to push your value ranges. I think that you can see with this artwork that the more contrast you have in your value ranges - the more dynamic your piece is to look at. The sides of the book could be developed just a bit more to create a stronger sense of realism and I would work back into the Fireworks a bit to make them more believable. Find some imsages of fireworks on the internet to see the contrasts in color values and intensities. I am pleased with the progression of your concentration and would like to see you work back into your statement this week so that we can correct grammar and shore up your statement.

    ReplyDelete