Starving Artist

My photo
I'm a senior in highschool with an unhealthy love for illustration and comic books. My ispiration comes from surrealism, but lately my interests in psychology and art therapy have been a raging force in the subject matter of my work.

Friday, October 30, 2009

concentration #6

this piece has three layers of paper each cut out separately and then pasted together to create the overall picture. i tried to make the blocks and the great wall the brightest and most intense objects in the piece. i dulled down the color of the walls from yellow to blue so it wouldn't compete with the other half of the drawing. i tried to make the little girl pop out more so she wouldn't fade into the back ground. I tried to blend the window in to the sky to make the transistion more natural from reality to fantsy.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah-this is a very solid piece. First of all I'm reallllly glad you changed the color of the wall...it draws the eye to the right-hand side (or the subject of the work) and doesn't interfere with the subject. Doing stripes was also a great idea; strong lines are always good. I think the reflection of the toys is a cool touch also. I think you could make the transition from the room to the dream world could be a lot smoother--could you blend it in more subtlely? Also, I thought you were going to start incorporating yourself into the pieces more. Overall, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I thought this piece was very well handled. I am really impressed with your watercolor skills and the control you are able to have with this difficult medium. I am also really impressed with the way you problem solved by adding the stripes (as daniel said already haha) and the other details. I would just like to see you add different forms of medium to your artork. I think that you can really continue developing you artistic vision for these pieces though exploring the uses and different forms of medium. I would also like to see you maybe use some darker colors in you pieces to really highten the contrast. Anyway, i thought that overall this piece was really great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece is interesting and goes along well with your concentration. I like how the right side of the work is a lot more intense with more vibrant colors, detail, and contrast. It puts emphasis on the imaginary part of the work. I think the girl is a bit small though. In comparison to the window in the background she appears very unproportional. Other than that its a good piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah- Nice work here. Your color intensity is much more interesting as is the layering of marks. My once concern is the left side of the room as I feel that it looks like it needs to be visually developed more. Just work back into this piece slightly to redraw and I think you will be happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete