Starving Artist

My photo
I'm a senior in highschool with an unhealthy love for illustration and comic books. My ispiration comes from surrealism, but lately my interests in psychology and art therapy have been a raging force in the subject matter of my work.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Concentration #8





Alzheimer's is an organic mental disorder that affects the elderly. I prepared my background on watercolor paper with nail polish and watercolor paint. I then drew over the face with water color pencil and prisma marker. The right portion of the background is a matt board covered with puzzle pieces and photographs that my parents took over the years. The matt board looked old and antiquated, but to make it more so, I tore away portions of the paper to give a sense of fading away. The brown paint is supposed to be mold or some such bacteria that degrades matter. I feel as if the distance between the deteriorating side and the portrait are to far away from each other and there is too much empty space at the bottom of picture. Overall I like how the composition turned out.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah. This is so cool. I love this one! I feel like this is going to be a dumb comment where I just talk about how much I love everything so i will try to think of some advice. But I love the puzzle pieces and the pictures and the face and the clock hands. ok maybe you could make the pictures look older somehow to show that they are in the past? maybe sepia or black and white would do it?
    McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to this piece! I like McCabe's suggestions above to continue to develop your pictures more to make them look older through sepia, black and white and I think that you mentioned you wanted to burn/fray the edges on some of them? I really like the clock hands and would perhaps add a thin black line to the edges of the clock parts to separate them from the background. I think McCabe suggested in class to continue to develop the background by peeling closer to the face and on the bottom since you can't see that much of it in the image. You have a great start to this assignment! I will be anxious to see what it looks like when you have it all glued down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really strong piece Sarah. I love everything about it. I think you should try some different ways to manipulate the pictures either burning them or maybe using a label maker and label the pictures. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete