Starving Artist

My photo
I'm a senior in highschool with an unhealthy love for illustration and comic books. My ispiration comes from surrealism, but lately my interests in psychology and art therapy have been a raging force in the subject matter of my work.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cocentration #4

Depression is common and comes in a plethora of forms. Specifically this is catatonic depression-where the subject curls up in the fetal position, unable to cop with the situation. This piece was frustrating in its developmental stage as the figure didn't seem right and the news paper in the back ground felt out of place. This piece made me depressed to the point of painting over everything in black. I dragged my fingers through the hair while they were still covered in paint, when I asked Mrs. Stone-Danahy for an opinion she said the lose finger painting might not be such a bad idea. Now before you is a finger painting done without brush or pencil in an attempt to create an expressive piece with an emphasis on contrast.

3 comments:

  1. this looks really good sarah! a little scary, but good. my only suggestion is to maybe work on the values in her face so that the viewer can tell where the light source is coming from and how it shows on her face. other than that great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome; I really love the drippy texture coming off the figure. Also, the choice of black and white is really effective; this piece just exhudes depression. And I can't believe this is finger-paingting; that's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I think the loose painting style that you were searching for was achieved! You did a nice job with controlled drips and marks to convey an emotional quality with the work. My one suggestion would be to work on the upper arm as the forearm and wrist are just a bit out of proportion. Otherwise, however, the painting is expressive and the Xacto knife behind the hand fits the image very well!

    ReplyDelete