Starving Artist

My photo
I'm a senior in highschool with an unhealthy love for illustration and comic books. My ispiration comes from surrealism, but lately my interests in psychology and art therapy have been a raging force in the subject matter of my work.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Concentration #2



As my concentration evolves I will continue to explore mental illness through different forms and structures. #1 didn't really have a theme, but as my opening piece it was ambiguous and experimental this one however; explores a specific brand of mental illness called schizophrenia. Now there are 5 types, but this piece explores Paranoid schizophrenia, a mental condition that makes you believe in things that aren't true(like everyone is out to get you) suicidal tendencies, hallucinations, etc. I prepared my surface with spray paint and then added the paint drips. The eyes were a pain, but layering them with paint helped. I will go back into the face with darker shadows and the like when I have time, but overall i think this is stronger than my first one.

1 comment:

  1. This is much stronger than the first one! Great job! I love the eyes on the back of the head with the expression on the portrait. I especially like your strong color and contrast. I think you should work on the top of the hair and extend it down to the right hand side more? It seems a bit distracting that she looks somewhat bald? Overall, I am very pleased with the direction of your work! :)

    ReplyDelete