Starving Artist

My photo
I'm a senior in highschool with an unhealthy love for illustration and comic books. My ispiration comes from surrealism, but lately my interests in psychology and art therapy have been a raging force in the subject matter of my work.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Breath #5


I loved the tones and colors of the rose, so when I began my background I splattered the colors from a bright yellow at the center to a crimson red at the edges. instead of flatly drawing the outline of the rose I wanted rather, to imply the edges with the dark red and burnt sienna which really gave it a lovely contrast.

4 comments:

  1. This flower is really amazing. I like the blue and green that you added; I think that really helped place emphasis on the flower, rather than the background. I like the splattered background and the way some of the lines of the flower are implied rather than actually drawn. I think this piece is really strong. I don't have any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like the picture with the blue in the background, its more interesting and more developed. great job with your awesome watercolor skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! This is beautifully painted and you demonstrate a strong sensitivity to the medium in this piece. My only suggestion is to perhaps redraw slightly into the flower. The contrast between the blue and the green in your background pulls the viewer's eye to the outside edges and I would want to see just a bit more contrast within the flower counter effect this. Overall, however, you should be very pleased with this work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. The splatteryish background looks beautiful against the more controlled rose. The colors are rich and vibrant. LOVE THIS

    ReplyDelete